FOLLOWING two cancellations in the past five years, the Wilmslow Show is on the move.
The 105th annual event will take place this summer at Carnival Fields, in Altrincham Road, have previously been hosted at Wilmslow High School.
Shows in 2012 and 2016 were cancelled due to bad weather, and organisers have been left with hefty insurance costs as a result.
Details of the move emerged at a Wilmslow Town Council meeting on Tuesday, April 18, as members voted in favour of awarding the Wilmslow Show committee a grant of £6,500 to help cover the event’s costs at its new home.
Cllr Frank McCarthy, chairman of the Wilmslow Show committee and Wilmslow Town Council member for Dean Row, said: “The problems have been difficult.
“We are very grateful to the school for providing the facility free of charge, and this year we could have that for free again.
“But last year, on the morning of what would have been the show, we looked at the field and we said ‘could we have had the show today elsewhere?’
“Although the Carnival Field was quite damp there was no doubt we would have had a show on that field.
“We couldn’t carry on using all our money and time like that.”
Councillors voted unanimously to pay the grant, despite paying a grant of £10,000 to the Wilmslow Show committee last year.
Cllr McCarthy confirmed that last year’s grant would be put towards the cost of this year’s event, and the additional £6,500 would cover one-off costs at the new venue and the increase in insurance costs.
Ahead of the vote Cllr David Pincombe, chairman of Wilmslow Town Council’s finance committee, said: “The town council has supported the show and will continue to support it.
“We wish them every success.”